VSphere 5.0 is expected to be released in August 2011. Beta release is already available to partners.
Listed below are the new features that will be included in VMware VSphere 5.0
New Web based Client. No need to install a local client.
- Support for up to 32 vCPU’s per Virtual Machine, previously was 8 vCPU’s.
- 1 TB RAM per VM, previously was 255GB
- 64TB Virtual Disk/RDM, previously was 2TB
- Storage DRS – Storage Pods
- Network DRS
- VASA – Vstorage API Storage Awareness – (monitors IOPS)
- Application Aware HA (High Availability)
- Host based Replication – SRM 5.0
- Network I/O Control
- Storage I/O Control for NFS storage
- 3D Graphics Support
- VMFS – READ CACHE ( use RAM as disk)
- FIPS 140 Compliance
Loads of extra feature enhancement from VSphere 4. Exciting times ahead.